Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tie a Pink Ribbon



Monday afternoon Matt and I drove home from Iowa City.  We were exhausted but were so ready to see and hug our boys.  Matt drove while I made a few phone calls and we talked a bit about the coming days.  The last half-hour of the trip I closed my eyes and dozed a bit but woke up when I realized that Matt had stopped the car for a while.  He quietly said, "you need to sit up and look around."  He had stopped the car at the corner of our street in our small neighborhood...our house was 50ft to the right.  Everywhere we looked, on EVERY tree large and small, EVERY light pole and EVERY sign post there were pink ribbons... Pink ribbon tied in bows and blowing in the breeze.  Neither Matt nor I had shed a tear yet that day, but at that moment we both sat silently with tears streaming down our face.

In addition to the ribbons many of the houses on the street have left their lights on in honor of the light Kate brought to the world and to show their support of our family.


If you ever hear someone say "neighborhoods are not like they used to be" or "neighbors aren't as friendly as they were when I was a kid" come visit our neighborhood! Merced Drive is an INCREDIBLE place to live!

As if the ribbons and house lights weren't enough armies of loving and supportive neighbors, friends and colleagues have mobilized to ensure all of our family’s personal and professional needs are covered.  The neighborhood started a 'Meal Train' that was extended to the entire community.  In two days every possible meal slot was booked for our family until December!  Like I said...INCREDIBLE!  I logged on the other day to check it out and couldn't believe the amount of yummy, cheesy, creamy goodness people have volunteered to bring us!  I don’t know how I’m EVER going to begin to loose any of this baby weight with all of the wonderful comfort food coming.  Maybe I’ll just hibernate this winter and awake with a mission in the spring!

In the past few days we have found so much comfort in the tender smiles, strong hugs and shared tears of friends…we are truly blessed. 

Thank you, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment